9.16.2009

German Pancake's


When I was a kid, my Mom made these all the time. All my other siblings loved them and cheered when they saw it coming out of the oven. I however, hated them. I don't know if I ever even actually tasted them, but being the stubborn kid that I was, I wouldn't touch it. Fast forward 20+ years. . . Six months ago my Mom made them again while we were visiting my brothers family in Las Vegas. I LOVED it. I asked her how she made them (she never has a recipe for anything, yet everything she makes is delicious) and she nonchalantly gave me her most recently made recipe. So, this recipe may be different from the ones you have made in the past, but it works really well for me. I now make this at least once per week and my girls also cheer when they see it in the oven.

Preheat the oven to 420. Place 2 tablespoons of cold butter in a 9x13 dish and put it in the oven to melt. (Don't just melt butter and put it in the pan. The hot pan helps the egg batter to pull away and become inflated.)

combine:
6 eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup flour
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
(this is how much I make for 2 adults and 2 kids, with one leftover piece. For more servings, increase the eggs to 9, 1.5 cups milk and 1.5 cups flour in the same size pan- that usually serves 4 adults and 2 kids)

Whip it up with a whisk until there are no lumps.
Remove the hot pan from the oven and pour the batter in. Bake it for 17-20 minutes or until it is golden brown and nearly touches the top of the oven. Smother with syrup, applesauce, butter or jam. Enjoy!

1 comments:

Megan said...

these are Darrens favorite, I think he cheers too, when he sees them rising in the oven!