7.30.2008

Chicken Pot Pie




I think one of Jake's favorite meals is a chicken pot pie. I had never made them or even liked them until my sister Sage brought me one after I had my second daughter. It was delicious! She taught me how to make it, so thanks Sage!

I have learned to do this a couple of different ways. One way is cooking individual chicken pot pies in a small oven safe bowl, called a crock (also good to make French Onion Soup in).  Then topping the crock with pastry puff sheet. 



The second way is to fill a regular frozen store-bought pastry pie shell with the chicken stew, then topping it with a second pie crust.



Directions: 
Prepare Chicken Stew. If using pie crusts, thaw to room temperature for 30-60 minutes. Do not bake crusts first. Fill one bottom shell with about 4-5 cups of the stew, or until even but not overflowing. Take the second crust, put it upside down on top of the bottom shell. Press edges down and together. Remove the top tin pan. Bake uncovered at 400 degrees for 40 minutes.

For Crocks- Thaw 1 pastry puff sheet for 40 minutes at room temperature. Trace the top of crocks onto the pastry sheet, getting the same size circles cut. Prepare a mixture of one egg and one tsp water. Brush this mixture onto the top of the pastry sheets. Bake them at 400 degrees for 10 minutes. Then, fill crocks with the Chicken Stew. Top them with the half-baked pastry sheets. Sprinkle on some parmesan cheese and bake for an additional 10 minutes. They should come out resembling this:




Enjoy!

4 comments:

Jess said...

Amber where did you find those cute little crock dishes?? Love this recipe idea!!

amelia said...

Hi Amber, it's Amelia. Thanks for the comment on my blog and for referencing me to your food blog - seriously, you have given me tons of great ideas. I NEED THEM!

Brooke G said...

Yummy! now I wish I had bought some crocks as well!

Anonymous said...

I made this Dish and my husband thinks its the BEST meal i've EVER made, EVER!
I was amazed how good it tasted for how easy it was to make. You're a genius.