1.22.2010

Mexican Corn Chowder

The hot water is not working in our house today, and I have had a perpetual chill all day long. I figured it was a good day for some soup (even though it is 53 degrees outside, . . . which is pretty much springtime weather). I am going out with a couple friends for a late dinner, but still wanted to make something that I could eat as a late lunch, then Jake could come home from work and eat it for dinner. So, I came along this recipe for Corn Chowder. I have never made Corn Chowder, and the only time I have eaten it was at Magleby's in Provo, Ut. It was to die for. If anyone has that recipe, PLEASE send it my way! Until then, enjoy this. . . it's very good!



so here is the recipe

3 chicken breasts (I used only two, from a rotisserie chicken)
1/2 cup chopped onion
**I added 1/2 chopped red bell pepper, just for color**
1-2 cloves minced garlic
3 Tbsp butter
2 chicken bouillon cubes + 1 cup hot water (I just used 2 cups broth)
**2 tablespoons flour**
1/2 to 1 tsp ground cumin
2 cups half and half (I just used 2% milk)
2 cups shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
1 14 oz can cream style corn
1 4 oz can green chilies, undrained
1/4 tsp tabasco sauce
**1 Tbsp honey**
1 medium tomato, chopped
fresh cilantro and tortilla chips for garnish
**stared items were not in the original recipe**

what the recipe says:
In a dutch oven or large saucepan, brown chicken, onion, and garlic in butter until chicken is no longer pink. Dissolve the bouillon in hot water. Add to pan along with cumin; bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Add half and half, cheese, corn, chilies and Tobasco sauce. Cook and stir over low heat until the cheese is melted. Stir in chopped tomato. Serve immediately. Garnish with Cilantro.

What I did instead:
Shred or cube chicken (I used rotisserie). In a large pot, melt butter. Saute onion for 1 minute, add red pepper and continue to saute for another, then add minced garlic and saute for another minute. Add the flour and mix it around until the moist veggies absorb most of it. Add the broth and cumin; bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Add milk, cheese, corn, chilies, chicken and tabasco sauce (optional). Add Salt to taste. Cook and stir over low heat until the cheese is melted. Stir in chopped tomato. Garnish with Cilantro, and tortilla chips.
**I found that the soup was a little on the spicy side, so I added one tablespoon honey to the pot.
Overall, I really liked this soup. I think it would have been just great without the red bell pepper, but I am kind of a bell-pepper lover lately, so I couldn't help myself. I am usually not a fan of cream-based soups, but this was just so hearty, and I didn't feel as guilty about it. It is very filling too!

I got the recipe from here

0 comments: