3.24.2009

Peanut Butter Oatmeal Chocolate Bars aka "Love Bars"

They served this in the cafeteria at Butler Middle School and I FINALLY found the recipe from a former "lunch-lady".

Oh yum, you are in for a treat. I ate these every day when I was 14.

1 1/2 C. butter, softened
1 C. sugar
1 C. brown sugar
2 eggs (large)
1 Tbsp. vanilla
1 1/2 C. peanut butter
11/2 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. salt
2 C. flour
3 C. oats

Frosting:
2 C. semi-sweet or milk chocolate chips


Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 13x9x2 inch pan. Beat butter and sugars until creamy. Add eggs, vanilla, and peanut butter and beat until light and fluffy. Add dry ingredients and mix until combined. Press mixture evenly into pan and bake 10 minutes or until lightly browned. (Note: Will be underbaked.) While still warm, evenly distribute chocolate chips. When chips have melted spread into a thin layer.

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CUT THIS WHEN IT IS WARM! I found mine was much easier to handle after cooling all night.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to wait all Night!!! But I want them right now!

Joy For Your Journey said...

These were my favorite things when I ate school lunch! Thanks for the recipe. We also just ate the oatmeal fudge bars from this blog. Oh so very yummy!!!!

BECKY said...

I loved these too! Good old Butler Middle! YUMM

alpinekleins said...

Hello! I followed a link over from your aunt's site (Joy for your Journey) . . .

This place is adorable and soooo yummy. You have so many luscious looking things to try out here!

Be back again soon!

Kristin K

Kristen Ballard said...

Yum, and yum. Love peanut butter, oatmeal and chocolate together!! Great site!!!