3.19.2010

Honey Wheat Millet Bread + Strawberry Freezer Jam

What is better than fresh, warm, homemade bread for breakfast? My Mother and Father-in-law make this bread often and it is sooooo good. It's not too heavy and it is perfectly sweet. The Millet flour adds something that makes it different . . . lighter, nuttier. I don't know. I just really like this bread and have been craving it all week. I haven't ever made bread, (except for in a bread machine, with a packet) so I actually had to go and buy loaf pans just for this.

Combine in a LARGE bowl:
5 cups hot water (from the tap)
2/3 cup oil
1 tablespoon salt
1 1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup powdered milk
mix well, then add:

2 cups ground millet flour (you can get it at a regular grocery store in the "health" section)
2 cups whole wheat flour
3 heaping tablespoons yeast
mix well, then add:

7 cups white flour
3 cups whole wheat flour
then knead the dough for a good ten minutes.
form it into 5 medium sized greased loaf pans and let raise for about 45 minutes
bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
enjoy!



as for the Freezer Jam,
just buy a packet of "freezer pectin" and combine with 4 cups of pureed fruit and 1 1/2 cups sugar. As shown in the picture, I made all this jam from two giant strawberry clamshells at Costco, and 4 packets of pectin. I also use half sugar, half Xylitol. The Xylitol is just as good if not better than sugar, is zero calories, and is excellent for your teeth. Plus, that way I don't feel so bad about smothering it on everything I eat. Freezer Jam is just soooo satisfying.

1 comments:

BECKY said...

Hey Amber! I have a few questions: Do you make it in a bosch or do you do it all by hand? And also I'm assuming it's 1/2 Cup powdered milk right? I want to make both of these recipes... they look wonderful!!