5.10.2009

Chocolate + Spinach + Berries???


Both of my parents have a pretty insane habit when it comes to the way they eat their vegetables. They fill a large vita-mix blender with whatever veggies they have. Usually it includes a whole bag of spinach, celery, carrots, cucumbers, peppers, and a can of V8. My Dad has "drank" this entire shake every morning for the last 15 years. my Mom's version includes frozen berries, which helps it go down a little more smoothly. I have tasted, even drank this shake before. 100% of the time my result was either gagging or vomiting. I alway vowed that I preferred to eat my greens in a salad, which I usually valiantly do. Today however, I have come the closest I will ever come to their green shakes. 

Lately I have been blending protein shakes for myself to drink after a workout. I had some frozen berries in my freezer and the last few protein shakes have included a handful of them. YUM! The berries make the mixture a little bit thicker, and made it taste more like a ice-cream shake. I was feeling extra adventurous today and filled my magic bullet blender cup with about two cups of smashed down spinach. I then dropped in 3/4 cup frozen berries, a scoop of protein powder, and 3/4 cups of milk. I blended it for about a full minute all the while wondering how it would taste. The mixture turned out slightly darker shade of purple today, surprisingly not that green. I was preparing for a horrible taste and committed myself that I would drink the shake no matter what, even if it did taste just like my parent's version of the spinach shake. To my surprise, It was still DELICIOUS. It passed the true test, when my three year old volunteered to drink the whole thing. The chocolate protein powder and the berries masked any evidence of a spinach taste. YUM! Now I know, my protein can now be another way to get in a serving of my dark greens!  

















3/4 cup milk
2 cups spinach, smashed down
1 serving chocolate protein powder
3/4 cup frozen berries
. . . . blend it up . . . . 


300 calories
36 grams protein
34 grams carbohydrates


6 comments:

Erin Spenc said...

Thank you for sharing! This sounds like someone that I won't gag on either!

MissKris said...

That sounds so interesting... I know I never would have came up with that on my own but if your kids even liked it I might just have to give it a try :)

BECKY said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
BECKY said...

My favorite is frozen blueberries, spinach, and Pro-lean Mass Chocolate protein powder (By Extreme Labs- I order it from bodybuilding.com). It is SOOOO good! I make it with water and ice. It's by far the best tasting protein powder that me and my husband have ever tried. Awesome formula and taste! There are no artificial sweeteners- my husband calls it his after work out dessert. It's delicious with just water and ice (all blended) or with the addition of the spinach and frozen blue berries.... MMMMMMM

Terri said...

oh good! You just have to remember to put ice cubes in with it to make it like a smoothie!

Tiff Gatten said...

K, if it sucks, I'm comin' to find you. :)